Re: xterm background color?

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:07:55 -0600

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:34:05PM -0000, Dhaval Patel wrote:
> Mike Rosing <mrosing@wisc.edu> said:
>
> > First, I want to say WOW to the developers at Afterstep.  The
> > install.script worked great on a RedHat 9 fresh install.  The
> > only thing I had to do to make afterstep run was to:
> > 1) change /etc/sysconfig/desktop to be "AFTERSTEP" instead of "GNOME"
> > and
> > 2) edit /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to include the following lines:
> >      elif [ "$DESKTOP" = "AFTERSTEP" ]; then
> >          PREFERRED=afterstep
> >
> > Changing (or creating) .xinitrc didn't work.
> >
> > Second, I can't read the xterm because the dark blue letters on the
> > medium blue background is impossible to see.  How do I change the
> > background to be yellow?  And the select color to be red?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike Rosing
> >
> man xterm. it is probably -bg and -fg but i am not sure.

For all [xa]term, put something like the following in your
~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources:

! Defaults for all xterm clients
XTerm*background:   yellow
XTerm*foreground:   darkblue
XTerm*highlightColor:  red

Then run

  xrdb ~/.Xresources

"man xrdb" and "man X" and search for "Resources" for more
information.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
There is no right way to do a wrong thing.