Re: how to track down random logouts?

MIKE G ROSING (mrosing@wisc.edu)
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:13:49 -0600

Howdy Tim,

Frank Gore sent me the following:

cd into the source tree
./configure --enable-gdb --prefix=/where/to/install
make
make install

then setup afterstep to run like so:

/where/you/installed/afterstep -l ~/afterstep.log

And then after you've managed to crash afterstep, just email the log
file to sasha@aftercode.net (preferrably compressed somehow)

what I did was eliminate --prefix in the ./configure
and I changed /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to have:
if [ -n "$PREFERRED" ] && which $PREFERRED >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    PREFERRED=`which $PREFERRED`
#    exec $PREFERRED
    exec $PREFERRED -l /home/mike/afterstep.log
fi

Obviously your ~ won't be /home/mike.

Then, after a crash, I login using Gnome and bzip2
the afterstep.log file.  If you login again with
afterstep the useful info is lost.  Send it to
Sasha, with a good description of how you caused
the crash.  He's fixed a few problems I've found
that way!

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike