Re: Afterstep 2.0 Configurations

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:34:28 -0600

Rob Hunter wrote:
> First off let me say, I've been using Afterstep since the mid 90's.  I
> love it over any other desktop manager because of how configurable it
> is.  Anyway, I downloaded the 3rd beta for Afterstep 2.0.  After
> completely rewriting my looks and feels I'm almost content with the
> setup.  However I have stumbled across a few things that are a little
> annoying.
>
> - border-snap/Snap-to-edge - Really hate this.  Mostly because I have a 2
> monitor desktop and it won't let me place the window exactly where I
> want to.  Is there an option that I can put into a feel file that will
> let me turn it off?

You can either press Shift key while moving windows to temporarily
disable snapping ( key is configurable throught NoSnapKey setting in
feel: NoSnapKey Meta
for example will make it a Meta instead of shift)

Alternatively you can set these in feel :

ScreenEdgeAttraction	0
WindowEdgeAttraction	0

value is measured in pixels and signifies distance from the edge at
which attraction starts working.

> - The "Delete" function now requires a click to make it work properly if
> called from a hotkey combo.  Is there a way to make it work like it used
> to.  I might be jumping the gun on this one.  I haven't tried to use the
> "Close" function yet.

Should be fixed in latest CVS. To get from CVS use:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.aftercode.net:/home/cvsroot login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.aftercode.net:/home/cvsroot co
afterstep-stable

> I have one other issue with windows that seem to disappear completely
> until I bring them back using the "window list".  But I want to research
> it more before reporting it.

It maybe coming up on another desktop ? edit your database file in this
case.

> Thanks again for all your hard work.  I can't wait to see 2.0 officially
> released!

You welcome.

> Faithfull Afterstep User,
> Rob Hunter