Re: install and activate!

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:11:19 -0600

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:11:26PM -0500, Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> Hi!
> 	I have a redhat system that I want to install Afterstep.  I assume
> I'll have to remove the GTK thing somehow right?  (I have to try to lean how
> these GUIs are structured and how they relate to X)  any help would be
> greatly appreciated!
>
> Matt

Graydon offered a useful solution.  If you would like AS integrated
into the switchdesk arrangement, this offering from Mark Thorp Duxbury
(email addy on request) is something I found useful.

----------- snip -----------
Greetings,

Here is how to do it so that Afterstep shows up in the login menu on Redhat
(i.e. how Redhat does session selection at login):

(0) The following assumes that you are using gdm and not kdm or xdm (gdm is
the default, so if you haven't changed anyting this will work; if you are
using a different display manager let me know and I'll post instructions for
the others - they're all different).

(1) Create a file in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions called "Afterstep" (warning, I
can't remember for sure that this is where this directory was in RH 7.3, but
I'm almost completely sure - I don't think they moved it between 7.3 and 8.0.
If /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions doesn't exist, type "locate gdm/Sessions" and put
the Afterstep file there - the most likely alternative location would be
/etc/gdm/Sessions.)  Put the following lines in the "Afterstep" file:

	#!/bin/bash
	exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession afterstep

(2) Now create a file in /usr/share/apps/switchdesk called
"Xclients.afterstep".  (again if there is no /usr/share/apps/switchdesk
directory try "locate apps/switchdesk" - but I'm 99% sure it's in the
location I've indicated in RH 7.3).  Put the following in that file:

	#!/bin/bash
	exec /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep > ~/.Afterstep-errors 2>&1

(3) Restart gdm.  Afterstep should be in the list of sessions to choose from.
Choose it and log in, you should get Afterstep.  If for some reason this
doesn't work please let me know, I don't think I've forgotten anyting but...

Hope this helps.

Mark

(Mark is now saying, "Aaaaaacccckkkk!  The advice that will not die.")

Thanks, anyway, Mark.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.