Re: Laundry list for AS 2.0 beta3

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:51:48 -0600

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:42:34AM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:

> Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> >Well, I took the plunge and downloaded and built AS v.2.0 beta3.  I've
> >been using 1.8.11 for a long time.  Very nice eye candy and (mostly)
> >good functionality.  Here are the problems I encountered.  First, my
> >machine:
>
> Wonerfully detailed list, and I shall start nailing them bugs ASAP.
> Few words though right away :
>
> Bloody RedHat ( and debian to the best of my knowledge ) for some reason
> separate graphic libraries files into two packages - one needed to run
> already compiled applications, and another required to actually compile
> applications. Second package mostly includes headers, but still you
> cannot compile AfterStep with support for such library if those headers
> are not present. As the result users get profoundly confused wondering
> why despite the fact that libraries seems to be installed, support for
> them is unavailable in compiled apps.
> That is the reason of you not being able to use PNG images with AS - you
> need to install second part of the graphics libs packages.

Hmm.  Well, as recommended in your README, I assured that I had (for
PNG):

libpng10-1.0.13-8
libpng-1.2.2-16
libpng10-devel-1.0.13-8
libpng-devel-1.2.2-16

What am I missing for PNG support?

> Thanks again
> Sasha

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Prayer should be our first resource, not our last resort.