Re: Bug? A horizontal border line right below the pagers

Hugh (hughforsuse@comcast.net)
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:43:42 -0500

Sasha Vasko wrote:

> Hugh wrote:
>
>> Dear AS users,
>>
>> I have installed 2.0-beta3 on three machines from
>> the tar ball all using Xfree86-4.3.0.1-21 from SuSE-9.0
>>
>> On two machines using Nvidia Riva and Matrox G450,
>> a horizontal line showed up right below the pagers.
>> which basically acts as the top border.
>>
>> During the start-up,
>> placement of pagers happens after placing the wharfs
>> in the two right places. Therefore, wharfs are placed
>> on the right places.
>> However, opening up new applications in regular use,
>> applications such as aterm show up
>> just below that border. For this reason, an application
>> window may get split between the lower part of the border
>> line and the upper part of the border line.
>

> Could you please send me a screenshot of this?

I have no experience with getting the screenshot.
But, from the kind reply of  Bob McLure, Jr.,
I realized that a similar behavior can be
triggered by revising /usr/local/share/afterstep/pager.
If the vertical location line +27 is revised by +26,  you will
see what I meant.
In my other computer which showed the misbehavior
with the default +27, changing it to +29 solved the
problem,  In Bob BcLure's case, my guess is
that +30 solved his problem because he suggested +30
in his reply..

In both cases, with +29 and with +30, I can observe a shallow split
with the task bar and the pager.  That seems to indicate that +27
is actually the correct value.  .

>> This bug may have been fixed in the CVS.
>> However, I do not know how to access it and do not
>> know what to do with the CVS even if I knew how
>> to access it.
>>
>> I think Sasha should release beta4 at this point.
>> if she thinks that this bug affects so many of us.
>
> Just for the information: In Russian language Sasha is short of
> Alexandr/Alexandra and as such could be either male or female name.
> This is to the contrary of a belief widely circulated in US, that it
> is female name only. In my particular case it indeed is a male name.
> Not that I'm offended or anything, just wanted to clear the
> misconception.

I am very sorry.   You should write about it in www.afterstep.org
But I sincerely hoped that we can find some more female computer girus
for the futue of society.

> Now back to bussiness.
> Its a very good suggestion, and shall be cleaning up couple remaining
> bugs from recent e-mail and releasing beta4 today or on monday.

In the new revision, please get rid of the default behavior of C-v.  It
bothers me so much
in emacs editiing.  I could not figure out how to disable the default
behavior.
As someone already talked about it, it should be the thing that each
application should
decide, not the window manager.

>> Regards,
>>
>> G. Hugh Song
>>
>> PS: I think AfterStep is the fastest among all
>> window managers that I used so far, and also
>> the most beautiful.
>> The only complaint so far is about C-v which
>

> C-v ? What C-v ?

You may check it out by opening up
emacs /usr/local/share/afterstep/pager
and type "Control-v" to proceed to the next page.
In the old AfterStep-1.x days, I could simply choose the ICCCM feel which
disabled this C-v behavior.  Now, it is gone.  I cannot find any feel.
in AfterStep-2.0-beta3 beside the Default one.
Yes. I played with it without any success.

> Sasha

Thanks

Hugh