Re: [As-users] AfterStep 2.0 beta4 release

Graydon (oak@uniserve.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:58:34 -0500

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 02:35:26PM +0100, niklas@fet.at scripsit:
> hi all!
[snip]

> wow, i had to swallow hard while reading this. this kde statement sounds
> very arrogant to me.

KDE is deliberately designed to be non-threatening to Windows users.
That's one of the reasons I can't stand the KDE window manager, despite
typing this in a konsole window.

> then you should not wonder that nobody uses afterstep
> if you tell them to go away just because they have another opinion.
> after all file extension are a questions of taste -

Well, no.

Whether you look at it from formal filesystem design, traditional unix
practice, or fault tolerance angles, Sasha's dead right.  File names
shouldn't convey *type*, that's distinct information, an entirely
distinct category of information.

The extensions are a dos-descended hack everyone thinks is normal due to
extensive familiarity.

--
oak@uniserve.com | Uton we hycgan    hwaer we ham agen,