Re: [As-users] AfterStep 2.0 beta4 release

Graydon (oak@uniserve.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:09:43 -0500

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:59:28AM +1100, Steve Cooke scripsit:
> The other area that MS has done remarkably well in is that of UI
> design. I am not alone in this view; have a look at:
> http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue8_1/nichols/ It seems to me that
> the "feel" of the interface is the important point here.

Everybody doesn't have the same biases between shape/colour and
context/consistency; if you bias strongly towards the colour and context
ends of those continua, Windows is *horrible*.

Since about 90% of people are either solidly off on at least one of the
shape/consistency ends, Windows works well for lots of people, but not
for everybody.

Which is why -- or one of the reasons why -- something like AfterStep
isn't ever going to have a huge proportion of users, but those of us who
*do* like it are a bit unreasonable about it.

This is one of the great things about Linux; we don't all have to use
the same interface, the same window manager, or the same apps.  We can
all get an interface that suits us, rather than one that suits the
mythical average user.  (Or just some _other_ user.)

Some things in Windows are real, serious, mistakes; arguably, typing by
filename is one of those things.

--
oak@uniserve.com | Uton we hycgan    hwaer we ham agen,