Re: [As-users] AfterStep 2.0 beta4 release

Albert 'Tigr' Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:26:33 +0100 (CET)

Hi, Steve!

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Steve Cooke wrote:
> I am going to make an assumption here. I assume that those developers
> working on Afterstep (and those working on other Open Source projects

That would be Sasha. Hey, Sasha!

> With the Linux OS gaining ground, both in the server market and with
> home users (traditional consumers of MS products), it is important that
> the Linux community see the value in making the products as friendly as
> possible to those converts from MS platforms. This may aid the turn of
> the MS tide. (The reasons for the turn to Linux is a whole other
> discussion.)

Well, I do not really care. I never had in mind a task
like "turn of MS tide". That sounds too complicated and
I do not like complicated things. I am still here because
I have a WM for my systems running Linux and that WM is
AS. I do not care if Sasha wants to make it convenient for
MS converts as long as it is convenient for me. Yes,
that's selfish but what do you expect? I do not think
I want to have a feature-blown WM just for the sake of
converting some people from MS to Linux. Neither do you,
I hope. There are other WM that do that and those people
have other targets, like converting people from other
systems. I only need a WM that works really well, that
is rock stable, fully configurable and incredibly fast
and lightweight. Meet AfterStep.

> It seems to me that the "feel" of the interface is the important point
> here. A threatening interface, or one that assumes the users to know
> something about the machine they are using, will not make any new
> friends. I feel that whatever technical wizardary is performed to make
> the app work, and whatever the ideological/political stance of the team,
> this one point should be kept in mind - it's the (new) users that will
> determine whether a product sinks or swims. So, it had better have as
> non-threatening an interface as is possible.

Again, that's a completely different audience we are
talking about here. I think people that use AS as their
WM of choice are rather more technical than you describe.
They do not get scared of recompiling the WM or (gasp)
the kernel. The new users do not have to be the users
of other systems. It is quite normal that after some time
with another WM someone may get tired of all the useless
features and hardcoded configuration and want to try
somethign else. Those users are not new in the sense
of using Unix, they are new only to AS, they are quite
familiar with configuration, compilation and so on...
So a threatening interface to some may not be as threatening
to others. Or, it may be actually rather inviting...

Tigr

--
GPG fingerprint = EDF4 CEA9 4CBF 0FAF 02B3  5839 B871 C957 3953 115F
An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world.