Fwd: Re: [As-users] AfterStep2 still won't start some programs

Sean Dague (sean@dague.net)
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:10:38 -0500

--===============1971552568==

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

To follow up, here is a screen shot of what it looks like when I try to run
xemacs, it just sits there.  I added -l to the afterstep command (as shown
in ps), and no messages are put into the error log when this happens.

Screen shot is here: http://dague.net/images/ss.png

	-Sean

--=20

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:45:03 -0500
From: Sean Dague <sean@dague.net>
Subject: Re: [As-users] AfterStep2 still won't start some programs
To: Graydon <oak@uniserve.com>

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:35:44AM -0500, Graydon wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:25:22AM -0500, Sean Dague scripsit:
> > On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:14:09AM -0500, Graydon wrote:
> > > Under Fedora Core 2, test 1, xemacs -- from
> > > xemacs-21.4.15-3.i386.rpm -- starts just fine.  I'm using AfterStep
> > > 2.00-beta4b.
> > >=20
> > > Are you installing a package or building from source?
> >=20
> > It is a package.  This has happened on Mandrake 9.2 and Mandrake 10.0.
>=20
> First thing to try is rebuilding the package from source -- get the
> source rpm, and try=20
>=20
> rpmbuild --rebuild <source package>
>=20
> If it builds, remove the old xemacs package and install the locally
> built one.
>=20
> If it doesn't build, the reason why not ought to give you a hint as to
> why it won't run.  The problem sounds a whole lot like a missing library
> somewhere, but I have no idea which one.
>=20
> (Are you building AfterStep as a package or straight from the tarball?)

the point is that xemacs runs in every other window manager on the machine
(AfterStep1, GNOME, KDE).  Only under AfterStep2 does it *never bring up a
window*.  The program doesn't error out, it just stops when it would
normally spaw the first X window.

I'm not sure what rebuilding xemacs would help here.  It has all its
required libraries.  I'm running it in AfterStep1.8 right now (because I
can't get it to come up in AfterStep2).

I'm running AfterStep2.0b4 from tarball, everything else is packages.  This
looks like AfterStep2 isn't properly processing some X window event... but I
don't know enough to figure this out on my own.

	-Sean

--=20

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb--