Re: [As-users] software patent regarding pager

Albert 'Tigr' Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Thu, 13 May 2004 22:05:12 +0200 (CEST)

> However, I also read that their idea is quite a bit of an expansion on the
> simple idea of a Pager, and their whole thing involves a process that is
> quite a bit more engaging and complex than simply clicking on a grid, and it
> involves flashy animation and stuff.  I'm sure that if the patent even gets
> through, it will be very specific to the effect M$ is trying to accomplish,
> and won't be able to eliminate the general idea of the pager & virtual
> desktop that has been around for almost 20 years.

The patents work by clauses. The clause #1 is one patent,
if you want. Any following clause that does not refer to
some previous clause, i.e. standalone, is a separate small
patent in itself.

In this patent, clauses 1, 7, 8, 13, 14, 19, 20 and 25 must
be taken separately and analysed for applicability by any
system. It does not matter that something in clause 2
will make it look like a more specific issue. If clause 1
applies, it is enough. Only clauses that refer to other
clauses must be taken in aggregate with the referred clauses.

I hope I am making sense here. Anyway, that's how the patents
work. Basically, every clause is a separate issue. So, you
need not be fooled by the complexity of the overall system
that emerges from the whole patent text, that's the point.

--
GPG fingerprint = EDF4 CEA9 4CBF 0FAF 02B3  5839 B871 C957 3953 115F
An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world.