Re: [As-users] Feature Request: Tabbed Window Groups

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Tue, 18 May 2004 15:09:42 -0500

Doug Alcorn wrote:

> I've been away from AfterStep for a while, but I'm finding myself
> annoyed with my current window manager.  However, there is one
> feature that keeps me from leaving it.  Since Sasha seems to be the
> uber-hacker, I thought he might be interested... :-)
>
> I use PWM (http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/).  AFAIK, it was the
> first window manager to implement tabs.  This is a very useful
> feature that allows you to group multiple applications into what
> appears to be the same frame.  The windows have the exact same
> position and size.  When you move one, you move them all.  When you
> resize one, you resize them all.  The titlebar of the application
> group is segmented so that the titles of all the windows are easily
> visible.  There are bindings to attach a new window to the
> frame/stack/group and detach it.  There are also bindings to rotate
> through the frame/stack/group.  A screen shot showing this feature is
> here:

There is a new module in AS 2.0 designed to do just that - called WinTabs

I got it mostly working, but its config is undocumented yet, and I need
to implement new AS function - something like SwallowWindow, which, when
applyed to awindow will cause it to be swallowed by either WinTabs
module or a Wharf module, depending on its parameters.

Sasha.