Re: [As-users] DocBook XML conversion

M.-A. DARCHE (ma.darche@cynode.org)
Sat, 22 May 2004 20:47:28 +0200

Le 2004-05-22 19:43 (samedi), niklas@fet.at a =E9crit /=20
On 2004-05-22 19:43 (samedi), niklas@fet.at wrote :
> >=20
> > This is typically what can bring new users to AfterStep, or at list n=
ot
> > frightening them to use it.
> >=20
>=20
> imho, we should not, for now, contentrate on getting new users to after=
step.
> let me explain what i mean: the advanced features of afterstep are not
> really mature as it is now, so if you get new users, you'll get more us=
eless
> complaints (mostly newbies). cos if you use something and it doesn't wo=
rk
> either you leave or start asking questions why things are not working a=
> described. little example: if you used "WharfNoBorder" with 1.8 you nee=
> to use "WharfBevel none" with 2.0 to get the same result. let us first =
iron
> out what we can and then go for world domination :))))
> As v2.0 is not good documentated (looks nice - but hasn't really in-dep=
th
> info) it will put more pressure on sasha, since he would need more time=
> read mail and answer it, so this time would be missing for devolopment.
>=20

I agree.

> Good question. but documention is getting better... my impression is th=
at
> afterstep 2 will need til the end of 2004 to get stable and have f*****=
*
> good documentation - a great icon section ( on my todo list - but i hav=
> something like 37 mb of icons - will take a lotta time to sort them + c=
heck
> licenses) and some gui tools (if documentation is really good i suggest=
 drop
> ascp - and have only some visualtool for theme handling with preview).
>=20

I agree that there is some work to do on the icon set provided with
AfterStep and used on the website.

I would also like to mention that we should put some efforts on the
communication done on the website. But this could be tackled later.

> (from another one of your mails:)
> >I'm just grateful for what AfterStep provides (powerful configuration,
> >freedom to use it and improve it forever, nice maintainers, etc.) and
> >now I want to help back.
>=20
> that's exactly how i feel - if every afterstep2 user does a little to m=
ake
> his knowledge of afterstep available to others (writing doc, providing
> icons, default database and wharf entries) things will be in place rath=
er
> quickly.
>=20

AfterStep, the window manager of the grateful users :-)

--=20
Marc-Aur=E8le DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>
AFUL <http://www.aful.org/>