Re: [As-users] software patent regarding pager

Albert 'Tigr' Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Wed, 12 May 2004 15:11:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

On Wed, 12 May 2004 niklas@fet.at wrote:

> hi all
>
> I found on xcomputerman.com ( xcomputerman.com/pages/?cat=3 ) that m$
> applied for a patent about a "Virtual desktop manager", something we know as
> Pager.
>
> The direct link to the us patent and trade office is:
>
> http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20030189597&OS=20030189597&RS=20030189597

Thanks a lot for the information. This is more than a little
disturbing. I think that, indeed, the other WM development
teams and GNU must be informed of this.

There is plenty of prior art on the subject of this patent
but only an organisation can fight a patent and it costs
a lot of money. We need to raise enough noise to get some
attention of GNU and maybe distros to this issue.

Albert

--
GPG fingerprint = EDF4 CEA9 4CBF 0FAF 02B3  5839 B871 C957 3953 115F
An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world.