Re: [As-users] DocBook XML conversion

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:43:11 -0500

M.-A. DARCHE wrote:
> Le 2004-05-20 15:36 (jeudi), Sasha Vasko a =E9crit /=20
> On 2004-05-20 15:36 (jeudi), Sasha Vasko wrote :
>=20
>>M.-A. DARCHE wrote:
>>
>>And then have this structure autogenerated using libAfterConf from=20
>>templates. And this templates should be in turn one file per option=20
>>containing XML snippets describing it.
>>
>>Now to implement all that - I need to have present docs converted into=20
>>XML, so that I can extract those templates from it.
>>
>>So if you could generate me XML from current man pages, I would be most=
=20
>>gratefull.
>>
>=20
>=20
> Are those all the man pages to be converted?
>=20
> ./libAfterImage/apps/ascompose.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/afterimage.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/ascmap.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/asfont.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/asimage.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/asimagexml.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/asvisual.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/blender.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/export.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/import.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/transform.man
> ./libAfterImage/doc/ximage.man

All libAfterImage docs are generated from comments inside the code, so=20
no need to do those, at least for now.

These are obsolete stuff :
 > ./src/Banner/Banner.man
 > ./src/asetroot/asetroot.man
 > ./src/Gnome/Gnome.man

These should be converted into XML :
 > ./src/Cascade/Cascade.man
 > ./src/Tile/Tile.man
> ./src/Animate/Animate.man
> ./src/Audio/Audio.man
> ./src/Clean/Clean.man
> ./src/Form/Form.man
> ./src/Ident/Ident.man
> ./src/Save/Save.man
> ./src/Script/Script.man
> ./src/Scroll/Scroll.man

These are already converted and I'm working on it :
 > ./src/Pager/Pager.man
 > ./src/Wharf/Wharf.man
 > ./src/afterstep/afterstep.man

> I haven't a good knowledge of how to build man pages, so I ask, are tho=
se
> source files for themselves, or are they generated from other source=20
> files?

Only libAfterImage pages are generated, everything else is the source in=20
itself.

>=20
> I re-ask you my previous question: To what XML format the man pages
> should be converted, DocBook XML, XHTML?

DocBook XML.

> I think a conversion to DocBook XML would be more sensible because
> DocBook XML can later on be converted to both XHTML and man page.
>=20
> But I would like your confirmation before starting any work.

In fact once XML is generated, it will be split into parts and used to=20
populate placeholders generated with ASDocGen (src/ASDocGen).

To try out ASDocGen just run it like so :

ASDocGen -l log

That will generate directory source/ full of subdirectories, full of=20
files, one for each config option, plus several files such as _synopsis,=20
  _overview _examples, etc.

Once we have all these files populated with extracted XML, we can go and=20
generate doc in following formats :

- Plain text
- HTML
- DocBook XML
- PHP suitable to be used on wao
- NROFF ( man pages )

I'm done with generation of Plain text, HTML, DocBook XML and PHP

Remaining to do:
- NROFF format conversion
- auto-generation of the Glossary
- Move code for generation of clipart image catalogue from src/ascp, and
join it with ASDocGen.
- Write some doc for ASDocGen :)

I'm waiting for functionality to be complete before starting to populate=20
  XML into placeholders.

But you can play with it if you want to like so:

ASDocGen -l log -t xml
will generate DocBook xml

Other uses :
ASDocGen -l log -t html
ASDocGen -l log -t php
ASDocGen -l log -t text

See if maybe you can spot any malformed HTML/XML generated.

Sasha.