Re: [As-users] AfterStep 2.00.beta5 released - first problem

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:56:40 -0500

Fabrice Ilponse wrote:
> This this the first problem i have with beta5.
>
>    I set the Pager to have only Work 'Pager 0 0'. When i open mozilla,
> it does not appear in Work. In fact when i rerun Paper with 'Pager 0 3',
> mozilla is in WWW. Perhaps it is the position i first launched it? After
> many tries the same thing repeats. I suppose a full restart of afterstep
> would put thing in order but i'm not sure and i don't when to do it ;)

edit database.
It has styles for mozilla and some other apps to start on desk 1.
You want to get rid of all StartOnDesk 1

Remember that starting Pager with only one desk does not really limit
AfterStep to number of desktops. AfterStep always has 10000 desktops.
Pager only allows you to see some of them.

Its possible for you to have several Pagers, each displaying its own
range of desktops.

>    By the way, i haven't read the doc yet but I can't get the Pager to
> be 4x2 even when I recopy my old Pager configuration file. Also, in the

I would want to see your Pager file.

> original Pager config, there are:
>    *WPagerRows           1
>    *WPagerColumns        1

Note that its for WPager not Pager. You can start several instances of
the same module, adding symlinks to original binary :

ln -s /usr/local/bin/Pager  /usr/local/bin/WPager

in this case all the lines in pager file that begins with *WPager will
correspond to this second instance, while original Pager will use lines
that begins with *Pager

Same goes for other modules. Basically any line that begins with * is
belongs to application with appropriate name. Anything without * will be
used by all applications reading this particular configuration file. For
example options in base config are used by all modules and afterstep
proper regardless of its name.

> Why does the Pager appears 2x2 and not 1x1?
> In my case I set them to 4 and 2.

You want to set :
*PagerRows  	4
*PagerColumns 	2

Also note that in 2.0 its possible to have non-rectangular Pager

for example setting :
*PagerRows 	2
*PagerColumns 	2

and then starting Pager with only 3 desktops :
Pager 0 2

will show shaped Pager with one of the squares missing.

> c u

Sasha.