Re: [As-users] Re: AfterStep 2.00.beta5 released

M.-A. DARCHE (ma.darche@cynode.org)
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:12:22 +0200

Le 2004-09-02 09:01 (jeudi), Sasha Vasko a =E9crit /
On 2004-09-02 09:01 (jeudi), Sasha Vasko wrote :
> >>7) desktop switching should be faster due to background caching.
> >
> >Sadly I haven't observed a big improvement in that area with=20
> >1280x1024 JPEG images for each of my 5 desktops. Actually on a Pentium
> >II 300Mhz having those image backgrounds makes AS 2.0 unusable :-( Thi=
> >was not the case with previous versions of AS.
>=20
> do you see animated effect when switching desktops and background=20
> changes ? It may be slow the first time desktop changes, but later on i=
t=20
> will switch to the same desk much faster.
> It works here without a problem.
>=20

Yes, when I switch to a desktop for the first time there is this
animated effect that draws the image from both top and bottom toward
the middle of the screen.

I will be more precise this time, and provide numbers.

Problem 1: too long loading
---------------------------
The first animated effect - image loading - takes very long on my
machine: 16 seconds (desktop background drawing), then 4 seconds (pager
and wharf background drawing) =3D 20 seconds. This is too long a time.

Problem 2: not totally drawn backgrounds
This is clear that there is a cache building up. If I stop the process
of the first time image loading on a desktop, for example by switching
to another desktop, then when I come back to the previous desktop, the
image in the background is at the state it was - not totally drawn -
when I left it.

Problem 3: switching latency due to pager and wharf drawing
But I have to correct and precise what I wrote about desktop switching.
The desktop switching is fast in itself and the background image in the
destination desktop is already there loaded - fine :-) - *but* during 4
seconds the machine cpu load goes to top - that makes the window manager
useless during this time - while it draws the background of the pager
and the transparent background of the wharf.

So there maybe 3 areas of improvement:

  - First load of all image backgrounds could be made in a background
    thread no matter if the desktop was visited or not (there could be a
    limit to only 4 or 5 desktops). It solves problems 1 & 2.

  - Pager and Wharf background could also be cached if they are
    described as transparent somewhere in the configuration. It solves
    problem 3.

  - Provide a theme with no transparency for Pager and Wharf.
    It solves problem 3.

> >Those 2 bugs are still hanging around since the first betas of AS 2:
> >  - Commented "AutoTabThroughDesks" has not effect, window switching
> >    is always performed through all desks.
> >  - The WinList jumps 1O or 20 pixels down after a few window switchin=
gs
> >    and then disturbs window placement.
> >
> >I would qualify those 2 last bugs as blocking for the stable release,
> >while not being able to use large images is not.
>=20
> Ok, I'll work on it now, thanks for reminding me.
>=20

Great :-)

PS : I should have said that the anti-aliased fonts and the menus look
and feel great, especially since beta 5, menus seem to work faster.

--=20
Marc-Aur=E8le DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>
AFUL <http://www.aful.org/>