Re: [As-users] Window positions after restarting AfterStep

Renegade Muskrat (dramaley@spatulacity.cx)
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:29:45 -0600

I've thought of upgrading. So far i haven't seen a Debian package for
AfterStep 2 (neither aptitude nor the AfterStep web site lists one),
and i don't want to subvert the package management system by installing
software from source. I've done that before on Red Hat systems and they
end up being a pain to maintain over time. In theory i suppose i could
create my own Debian package of AfterStep 2, but i haven't gotten that
far with Debian to know how to create packages yet.

AfterStep 1.8.11 is basically working for me. There are a couple minor
things that i'd like to change (such as the problem i described in the
original posting), but they aren't significant enough to justify the
time it would take to learn how to create my own Debian package.

I've been using various versions of AfterStep for about 7 years. I've
always liked it. The Pager is the "killer app" for me; i've not seen
another window manager that has as simple and powerful a pager as
AfterStep. That and the fact that i can fairly easily configure the
window manager interface to be very minimalist (when X starts, all i
see is the desktop wallpaper and the Pager) are why i like using
AfterStep. But only recently have i started digging deeper into the
configuration of the window manager, which is why i joined this list
and have been asking (possibly annoying) questions.

At 09:10 AM 11/30/2004 -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
 >Why don't you try upgrading to AfterSTep 2.0 and see if it does
better
 >for you ?
 >

 >Renegade Muskrat wrote:
 >> Is there a setting to make AfterStep remember what desktop various
 >> windows are on when the window manager is restarted? I don't mean
 >> completely shutting down X, just restarting AfterStep.
 >>
 >> I'm using AfterStep 1.8.11 on Debian Sarge. If i restart the window

 >> manager, all open programs get moved to the first screen of the
first

 >> desktop. If i have many programs open, it takes awhile to manually
 >sort
 >> them out and put them back where they were. I used to have an older

 >> version of AfterStep (probably 1.6.x) on Red Hat 6.2 and it did not

 >have
 >> this problem; if i told AfterStep to restart, window borders and
other

 >> window manager-related decorations would go away momentarily while
it

 >> restarted, but open programs would all stay exactly where they were

 >> before the restart.
 >>
 >> Is this a feature that was removed with later versions, or is there

 >just
 >> some setting that i haven't found yet? Thanks in advance for any
 >help.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233