Re: [As-users] AfterStep 2.00.01 crash

M.-A. DARCHE (ma.darche@cynode.org)
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:08:06 +0100

Le 2004-12-28 01:01 (mardi), Renegade Muskrat a =E9crit /=20
On 2004-12-28 01:01 (mardi), Renegade Muskrat wrote :

> I've recently updated to AfterStep 2.00.01. Right away i noticed big=20
> changes from 1.8.11, namely that all my carefully crafted config files=20
> were completely ignored and i have to set things up from scratch. It=20
> seemed that AS now uses ~/.afterstep rather than=20
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep to store configuration data. (Was there a=20
> particular reason for the switch? I'm not complaining; storing=20
> configuration in ~/.afterstep makes more sense to me and being a hidden=
=20
> directory doesn't needlessly clutter ls listings.)

You will find all the information about this decision in the thread:
"Default directory for AfterStep data files"
http://www.tigr.net/afterstep/mail/user/2003-08/33.html

> Anyway, i've noticed an oddity which causes AfterStep to crash. To=20
> repeat the crash, start with a clean configuration (as in, remove or=20
> rename ~/.afterstep and restart the window manager). Then do:
>     $ cp /usr/share/afterstep/feels/feel.DEFAULT \
>       ~/.afterstep/non-configurable/0_feel
>     $ $EDITOR ~/.afterstep/non-configurable/0_feel
> Comment out the StickyIcons line and save the file. Then restart=20
> AfterStep. To cause a crash, minimize a window. Click on the minimized=20
> icon (as to restore the window) and AfterStep dies.
>=20
> Is there some other setting that i need to look out for in order to=20
> successfully comment out StickyIcons?
>                                                -- Dan

This bug has been reported on December 11th:
http://mail.afterstep.org/pipermail/as-bugs/2004-December/000055.html
and fixed very quickly in CVS on December 14th:
http://mail.afterstep.org/pipermail/as-bugs/2004-December/000057.html

The latest packaged release doesn't yet include those fixes, so you will
have to wait for the next one (that should arrive soon, considering
Sasha's delivery pace -- release often, release early is good) or use
the source from the CVS repository.

Cheers,

--=20
Marc-Aur=E8le DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>