Re: [As-users] Window positions after restarting AfterStep

M.-A. DARCHE (ma.darche@cynode.org)
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:41:30 +0100

Le 2004-11-30 19:29 (mardi), Renegade Muskrat a =E9crit /=20
On 2004-11-30 19:29 (mardi), Renegade Muskrat wrote :

> I've thought of upgrading. So far i haven't seen a Debian package for=20
> AfterStep 2 (neither aptitude nor the AfterStep web site lists one),=20

AfterStep 2 is only present in the experimental distribution at the momen=
t:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=3Dafterste=
p&searchon=3Dnames&subword=3D1&version=3Dall&release=3Dall

  * stable
    1.8.11-5woody1: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390 spa=
rc
  * testing
    1.8.11-12: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 spa=
rc
  * unstable
    1.8.11-12: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 spa=
rc
    1.8.10-2: hurd-i386
  * experimental
    2.00.00-1: alpha hppa i386 m68k mips mipsel sparc

But that would be great to have on http://www.afterstep.org/download.php
.deb packages aimed at the stable and testing distributions.

By the way, is Robert Luberda, Debian AfterStep package owner,
subscribed to this list ? If so could you build those .deb packages of
AfterStep 2 and let them be available on
http://www.afterstep.org/download.php ?

> and i don't want to subvert the package management system by installing=
=20
> software from source. I've done that before on Red Hat systems and they=
=20
> end up being a pain to maintain over time.

Being a Debian user (happy) as well, I would rather only use the built-in
package management system, but since AfterStep 2 is not available yet
I install home made AfterStep 2 on my machines (both woody and Sarge).
It's not really intrusive and it cohabits with the afterstep package of
Debian very well. Building AS 2 on Debian is really easy. What Debian
release(s) are you running?

> In theory i suppose i could create my own Debian package of AfterStep
> 2, but i haven't gotten that far with Debian to know how to create
> packages yet.

I'm trying to find time to learn howto build Debian packages too, but
what we need is to have someone who will provide all users the .deb
packages of AS 2 for the Woody and Sarge distributions.

> AfterStep 1.8.11 is basically working for me. There are a couple minor=20
> things that i'd like to change (such as the problem i described in the=20
> original posting), but they aren't significant enough to justify the=20
> time it would take to learn how to create my own Debian package.
>=20

Yes AfterStep 1.8.11 is still very very good and works fine. But in my
opinion the problem is that there won't be many developers who will
be likely to spend time on debugging and improving the old cold while at
the same time trying to improve and promote the new code.

Cheers,

--=20
Marc-Aur=E8le DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>
AFUL <http://www.aful.org/>