Re: [As-users] Window positions after restarting AfterStep

MIKE G ROSING (mrosing@wisc.edu)
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:14:43 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Renegade Muskrat <dramaley@spatulacity.cx>
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 7:29 pm
Subject: Re: [As-users] Window positions after restarting AfterStep

> I've been using various versions of AfterStep for about 7 years.
> I've
> always liked it. The Pager is the "killer app" for me; i've not
> seen
> another window manager that has as simple and powerful a pager as
> AfterStep. That and the fact that i can fairly easily configure the
> window manager interface to be very minimalist (when X starts, all
> see is the desktop wallpaper and the Pager) are why i like using
> AfterStep. But only recently have i started digging deeper into the
> configuration of the window manager, which is why i joined this
> list
> and have been asking (possibly annoying) questions.

I totally agree.  I've got Afterstep 2.0 (early beta actually)
loaded from source on Suse with an AMD64 box.  there are a lot
of things that don't work, but the Pager does and that is *the*
most useful and important thing to me.  I've not gotten the latest
official 2.0 release simply because the version I've got works ok
and I've got way too many other things to dink with.

In addition, the minimalist interface is really an exceptionally
beautiful way to face a computer.  It's not for everyone - not
many people fully grok their tools and they need the millions of
icons to help them figure out how to make the computer do something
useful.  The zen of an empty screen appeals to me, so having to
create the windows every morning doesn't bother me at all.  It's
proof I'm in control of my tools.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike