Re: [As-users] Shortcut keys not working, possible Pager bug

Renegade Muskrat (dramaley@spatulacity.cx)
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:33:11 -0600

 >This might be related to "Print key cannot be binded":
 >http://mail.afterstep.org/pipermail/as-bugs/2004-November/000046.html
 >
 >Read also:
 >http://mail.afterstep.org/pipermail/as-users/2004-November/001433.html
 >
 >The "take screen shot" commands should create PNG images in your home

 >directory.
 >
 >To check that the "take screen shot" commands are functional and that
 >the problem only comes from the key binding, open a Popup window on
any
 >window (AfterStep default in this matter is: select left icon with
 >button 1) and at the top of the list you will find the 3 screen shot
 >commands. Those commands here are the same that should be triggered
 >when
 >you press the Print key.
 >
 >Since it seems that we have the same bug you and I, that we are both
 >using latest Debian X packages, and that Sasha (main coder) states
that
 >the AS code is working for the Print key binding, it might be an X
bug
 >in Debian. You should check your keyboard map and report here.
 >Unfortunately I haven't had time too. At the moment I'm only using
the
 >"Take screenshots" functions from the Popup window.

Thank you for the response.

I tried this test. If i open the Popup window and click on the screen
shot command, a screen shot PNG is created in my home directory. This
is good; the screen shot command works. Now to get it working as a key
mapping...

I'm not sure what you want me to check with the keyboard map. On my
Debian machine i tried this:

$ xmodmap -pk | grep -i print
      92         0xff61 (Print)  0xff15 (Sys_Req)
     111         0xff61 (Print)  0xff15 (Sys_Req)

On a Red Hat machine i get slightly different output:

$ xmodmap -pk | grep -i print
     111         0xff61 (Print)  0xff15 (Sys_Req)

I wondered if the extra Print key mapping was causing a problem, so i
removed it (with "xmodmap -e 'keycode 92 ='"). Alas, that did not fix
the problem. Keyboard mappings are slightly deeper wizardry than i want
to get into right now, but if anyone else has further ideas, i'd be
willing to run test commands as necessary to track down the problem.
For now i'll probably let it be; it is not often enough that i attempt
to create screen shots that i really need a key mapping for it.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233