Re: [As-users] upgrading

John Gruenenfelder (johng@as.arizona.edu)
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:42:27 -0700

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:13:20PM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
>Jason Day wrote:
>>On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 02:38:50PM -0500, Jason Day wrote:
>>
>>>Second, desktop switching is a little cumbersome now.  When switching to
>>>a new desktop, or even to a new viewport on the same desktop, afterstep
>>>freezes for about one to two seconds.  During this time I can still move
>>>the mouse pointer, but I can't interact with anything, and the focus
>>>doesn't change.  Also, if I switch desktops while a Gaim window is open,
>>>the freeze lasts for about 10 seconds.
>>
>>I updated my database and pager files, and this problem went away.
>>Sorry for the false alarm.
>
>What was the change? AfterStep should not be that slow under any
>circumstances.

I too was experiencing a terrible slowness with the new AS.  Not quite as bad
as Jason, but still quite annoying.  For me, anytime AS opened/resized a
window or switched viewports, AS would pause for about 100-200ms.  Also,
dragging a shaped window was very slow.

Simply turning off the Animate module instantly made the problem go away and
now AS is running as speedy as ever.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
                        johng@as.arizona.edu