Re: [As-users] upgrading

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:55:04 -0600

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:24:33PM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
>
>>Nothing of the sorts :) The only big change was to revert back from
>>~/GNUstep/L/A nonsense to more standard ~/.afterstep.
>

> So if I try just copying old files from ~/G/L/A to ~/.afterstep, I'll
> get some clues about what breaks?

Correct.

>>I tried my best to keep AS as backwards compatible as possible, and
>>considering that it was rewriten almost completely within last years, I
>>think I did a good job at it. There are some oddities though due to the
>

> I'm not trying to fault anyone.  I just have a problem I'm trying to
> fix.  I often spend 14 hours a day in my window manager, and the
> keystrokes are built into my neurons now.  And alas, I don't have
> much time to futz with a new config (so it's easier just to maintain
> an old version forever unless this is a trivial matter).

Well your old feel should work without any problem, as there were not
much of changes. Look sometimes gets broken in a way that shows wierd
spacing of buttons, etc. What gets broken the most is Wharf config, as
icon files were shuffled around and sometimes dropped. Copying your
favorite files into ~/.afterstep/backgrounds and
~/.afterstep/desktop/icons may fix that problem.

Bear in mind though that AfterStep now supports antialiasing and TTF
fonts ( several are even supplied in distro ) so you may want to alter
your MyStyles to take advantage of that. Also it now comes with huge
collection of nice PNG icons.
You can browse this collection at :

http://www.afterstep.org/data/desktop/icons/index.html
http://www.afterstep.org/data/desktop/icons/normal/index.html