Re: [As-users] upgrading

Andrew Sullivan (ajs@crankycanuck.ca)
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:34:32 -0500

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:55:04PM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> >So if I try just copying old files from ~/G/L/A to ~/.afterstep, I'll
> >get some clues about what breaks?
>
> Correct.

Now _that's_ what I wanted to know.

Can I suggest that something like the following text, maybe named
UPDATE-FOR-THE-LAZY be put in the top level directory or something?

---cut here---
Upgrading to 2.x from 1.8.x for the impatient:

If you have an old configuration that you really like, and want to
keep, then the essential thing to know is that old configuration can
be copied from your old ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep directory into
the new ~/.afterstep/ directory structure.  THIS IS LIKELY NOT TO
WORK PERFECTLY.  IT IS UNSUPPORTED, but it might get you started.  If
you ask on the list, you are likely to get some hints about what is
wrong; but you should not expect your old configuration just to work.

Overall, feels are most likely to work, looks are likely to break
slightly, and Wharf configuration is most likely to break.  Depending
on how annoying this is to you, you should use some of the sample
configurations as a model for making your new installation work.

Note that using old configuration files makes you miss out on the
nifty new features of the 2.x series.  For instance, antialiasing is
now supported, so it is likely you will want to alter your looks to
take advantage of this.  For all the gory details, see the other doc
files.  This file is for the impatient.  It doesn't have all the
details.
---cut here---

Something that short and sweet will probably stave off plenty of
questions.  My bet is that many users aren't seeing the config change
yet; I follow the Debian testing dist pretty regularly, but I only
dist-upgrade every now and then.  When the current testing goes
stable for Debian, at least every one of those users will face this
change.

Thanks for good work, by the way.  I don't want to leave the
impression I'm telling anyone what to do.  I've just been happy with
my very-uncluttered desktop for some time, and I don't want to change
it too much.  You've now given me the pointers I need to figure out
how to achieve that.

In case anyone is wondering what I've been doing with AfterStep which
keeps me so protective of my environment, I have worked since 2001
for Afilias (or its then-vendor, Liberty RMS).  We run the .info TLD,
a number of ccTLDs (most recently we provided the software running
.IN), and we do the technology part of .org (since 2003).  I herd the
database guys (I was originally _the_ database guy).  We use
PostgreSQL to do all of this.  If you need a relational database, I
recommend it.  Score another victory for free software.  :)

Thanks much,

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
		--Bruce Schneier