Re: [As-users] How to make afterstep more reactive

Jason Day (jasonday@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:46:28 -0400

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:17:08AM +1000, CaT wrote:
> I'm not 100% sure about this. On my laptop I'm running AS 2.0beta4b and
> it's fairly snappy. On a desktop I'm running AS 2.0.4 (And 3 previously)
> and the delay in getting certain operations happening is stunning.
> Things such as getting a window list from a mouseclick takes ages to
> draw and still longer to get AS to highlight the item I am on. I
> remember this being MUCH faster before I upgraded AS to 2.0.3 so as near
> as I can tell it's something the definately has crept in recently (I've
> never used 1.8 - least not in recent memory).

I was having lots of speed problems with 2.0.1.  It turned out the files
in my ~/.afterstep directory were out of date.  I copied the latest
files from /usr/share/afterstep to ~/.afterstep, edited to my
preferences, and got a *substantial* speed increase.

Also, there was a problem with the Animate module that was causing
slowness with menus.  I think this was fixed in 2.0.4, or you might try
stopping the Animate module and see if it makes any difference.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9