Re: [As-users] suggestion to deal with the java disappearing windows

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:56:31 -0500

Sean Dague wrote:

> Though I understand there is a database entry now to prevent windows from
> being able to resize themselves, I was thinking about a more general
> solution.  The real issue is that the windows are requesting to be 0 width.

Its actually 1x1 - not 0x0

> I'm curious if that is *ever* a valid request.  It actually seems sort of a
> sec vulnerability in certain ways, as you could end up with windows hanging
> out that you can't see.
>
> Might it be a good idea to decide that the smallest size a window could
> request on a resize would be 5x5 pixels, or something?  Just a thought.

Whenever I tried to do something like that - there were always
complaints from some ppl. There are times when such a request is
legitimate, for example to hide a window, without iconifying it.

I could add a database flag for MinSize/MaxSize to be able to override
what client sets in its hints. But in any case anything like that have
to be on per-client basis, not a generalized policy.

Sasha.