Re: [As-users] .look / frame + tbar question

Stan Barr (stanb@dial.pipex.com)
Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:19:49 +0100

Hi,

Andre De Michiel said:

> I'm currently in the process of re-themeing and am just a bit uncertain
> as to how things the window frame and titlebar are positioned relative
> to one another. Currently when I see a window that looks like the
> following (t = title bar, f = window frame).
>
> tttttttt
> ffffffff
> f      f
> f      f
> f      f
> ffffffff
>

> What I would have thought should happen is to see something like,
>
> ffffffff
> fttttttf
> f      f
> f      f
> f      f
> ffffffff
>
> Is this actually the way things are supposed to be? My intuition says
> that the frame should be the outer most part of the window (hence the
> name frame). Things just start looking wierd when I have a NorthWest /
> North / North East frame and then position a title bar on top of it.

In the original MacOS the frame is like your first one, that is the
frame "hangs" from the title bar.  IIRC the Xerox system from which Apple
took a lot of the windowing idea used a tab projecting above the frame,
rather like BeOS.  Either way the title bar was outside the main frame,
and that's the way I, for one, prefer it, the title is the title of the
window not it's contents.  Of course other people may prefer something
different...

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr  stanb@dial.pipex.com