Re: [As-users] .look / frame + tbar question

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:29:14 -0500

Stan Barr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andre De Michiel said:
>

>>I'm currently in the process of re-themeing and am just a bit uncertain
>>as to how things the window frame and titlebar are positioned relative
>>to one another. Currently when I see a window that looks like the
>>following (t = title bar, f = window frame).
>>
>>tttttttt
>>ffffffff
>>f      f
>>f      f
>>f      f
>>ffffffff
>>

>>What I would have thought should happen is to see something like,
>>
>>ffffffff
>>fttttttf
>>f      f
>>f      f
>>f      f
>>ffffffff
>>
>>Is this actually the way things are supposed to be? My intuition says
>>that the frame should be the outer most part of the window (hence the
>>name frame). Things just start looking wierd when I have a NorthWest /
>>North / North East frame and then position a title bar on top of it.
>

> In the original MacOS the frame is like your first one, that is the
> frame "hangs" from the title bar.  IIRC the Xerox system from which Apple
> took a lot of the windowing idea used a tab projecting above the frame,
> rather like BeOS.  Either way the title bar was outside the main frame,
> and that's the way I, for one, prefer it, the title is the title of the
> window not it's contents.  Of course other people may prefer something
> different...

It is not difficult to simulate the second look by rendering titlebar
with frame look-alike border. The only difficulty there will be that
resizing will not work if you try to pull on such "simulated" frame at
titlebar area.

Standard definition of the frame is as in first drawing, and exactly for
the reason Stan mentions: it is possible to have titlebar smaller then
the size of the window ( by either using shaped MyStyle or using
CondenseTitlebar in MyFrame )

Sasha