Re: [As-users] How to make afterstep more reactive

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:06:04 -0500

Fabrice Ilponse wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm running the  AfterStep-2.00.03 on solaris 2.8 on a sunray.
>    The problem i have is there's big lag when doing operations with
> afterstep.
>    eg. move a window : if i move the mouse to fast before the pointer
> changes,  the window won't follow and i'll get my mouse off the window
> title bar as the window finally move.
>    eg2. if I have a xterm continually dropping text and scrolling,
> afterstep takes a least 20-30 second to focus any other window.
>
>    PS: On the sunray, all the display/sound/etc... passes thru the
> network. I'm on a 100mb/s network. So my display has a little latency.
> More, i have aterms with transparent background.

Yeah, that would be a problem, as AS renders everything clientsides and
uses alot of bandwidth to transfer images to X server. Still we fixed
some speed problems since 2.0.3, so you may try latest CVS or 2.0.4.
If it is still too slow - then you'll have to switch back to AS 1.8,
which was not using as much bandwidth. All thanks to the
<sarcasm>wonderfull design of X</sarcasm>.

>    --------
>    There still be compilation/running problems with afterstep.
>    The core are due to printf("%s",var) where var=NULL but i don't have
> time to check them now because i run afterstep at work only. The only
> way to get rid of the cores is to hack the config.h after "./configure"
> and add "#undef LOCAL_DEBUG".

Do you still have to do it even though you run ./configure without
--enable-gdb ?

Sasha