Re: [As-users] How to make afterstep more reactive

Fabrice Ilponse (fabrice@avertec.com)
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:52:30 +0200

Sasha Vasko wrote:

> Fabrice Ilponse wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I'm running the  AfterStep-2.00.03 on solaris 2.8 on a sunray.
>>    The problem i have is there's big lag when doing operations with
>> afterstep.
>>    eg. move a window : if i move the mouse to fast before the pointer
>> changes,  the window won't follow and i'll get my mouse off the
>> window title bar as the window finally move.
>>    eg2. if I have a xterm continually dropping text and scrolling,
>> afterstep takes a least 20-30 second to focus any other window.
>>
>>    PS: On the sunray, all the display/sound/etc... passes thru the
>> network. I'm on a 100mb/s network. So my display has a little
>> latency. More, i have aterms with transparent background.
>

> Yeah, that would be a problem, as AS renders everything clientsides
> and uses alot of bandwidth to transfer images to X server. Still we
> fixed some speed problems since 2.0.3, so you may try latest CVS or
> 2.0.4.
> If it is still too slow - then you'll have to switch back to AS 1.8,
> which was not using as much bandwidth. All thanks to the
> <sarcasm>wonderfull design of X</sarcasm>.

Error compiling 2.00.04:

decor.c: In function `on_astbar_pointer_action':
decor.c:1663: parse error before `static'
decor.c:1671: `last_balloon' undeclared (first use in this function)
decor.c:1671: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
decor.c:1671: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [decor.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/export/home/chaos/zinaps/tmp/AfterStep-2.00.04/libAfterStep'

gcc version 2.95.2 does not accept variable declarations after code.
the too following lines must be inverted:
    LOCAL_DEBUG_CALLER_OUT( "%p, %s, %d", tbar, context2text(context),
leave );
    static ASBalloon *last_balloon = NULL ;

>>    --------
>>    There still be compilation/running problems with afterstep.
>>    The core are due to printf("%s",var) where var=NULL but i don't
>> have time to check them now because i run afterstep at work only. The
>> only way to get rid of the cores is to hack the config.h after
>> "./configure" and add "#undef LOCAL_DEBUG".
>

> Do you still have to do it even though you run ./configure without
> --enable-gdb ?

no, it works ;)

v2.00.04 seems to be faster :)