Re: [As-users] where is database "Layer" setting documented?

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Fri, 06 May 2005 10:59:00 -0500

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 09:51:41AM -0500, Sasha Vasko wrote:
>
>>Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further problems you may
>>experience.
>

> Dear Mr Smith,
>
> It's well and truly a delight to know that, if one points out that
> capricious and seemingly undocumented surprises visit themselves upon
> one when using your software, one can expect a snide and
> condescending answer.  I'm particularly happy to know that, if one
> notes a regression, it is taken seriously.  I thank you sincerely for
> considering my suggestions about how one ensures that one's software
> is in fact usable by others.

Dear delighted AfterStep user!

We are glad to discover, that our helpfull advice did produce such an
amazing result and created such a happy feeling in your in such a short
time. Be further advised though, that such a profound effect may not
last too long, and may leaad to somewhat depressed state of mind, as the
initial surge of energy depletes. Do not be alarmed and discouraged
though, and do continue practice - especially the breathing excersises.
If you persist, you will regain joyfull state of mind, and in future
your mood swings will level off.

Let me further assure you that we are constantly looking into ways of
improving our software and do appreciate user feedback. The precondition
is that such a feedback is that it must be polite, written in piecefull
state of mind and contain sufficient details, such as logs,
configuration settings, version numbers etc.

Be further advised that word "testing" usually means that software may
exhibit unexpected behaviour.

It is generally considered to be a well-known fact that major version
changes of software may require sugnificant effort on the part of an end
user to accomodate. To mention a few examples : Linux kernel, GCC,
Apache, X.

It is understandable that you experience some frustration having to
learn new things, but such is life, it is constantly changing, and
pressuring us to be always on the move. Techniques mentioned in our
previous missive will allow you to go through such a period of changes
smoothly, however.

We are looking forward to a further cooperation with you.

Sincerely

Sasha Vasko
Head of the Development Department.
AfterStep Inc.