[As-users] AS and Debian (was: AfterStep 2.00.05 released)

Robert Luberda (robert@debian.org)
Sun, 8 May 2005 12:14:36 +0200

On Wed, 04 May 2005, Sasha Vasko wrote:

Hi,

> Just wanted to let you know that AfterStep 2.00.05 is now available for
> download from ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/stable/

It's great, especially the WinTabs module which allows me to clean my
desktop from all the the x-terminals I usually start.

> This release fixes tons of bugs and introduces numerous enchancements.

Unforunatelly, 2.0.5 and any later version can't be included in
Debian/sarge, which is now frozen and expected to be released at the end
of this month (but to be honest, I think it will be delayed as usual).
Anyway, there's too many changes between 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 to convice
our (Debian) relase managers to let them in, so I won't even try.

> Critical bugfixes :
> 1) fixed memory corruption in image data storage, that was causing wierd
> artifacts, and occasional segfault.
> 2) Fixed segfault on shared memory freeing at the time of AS restarting,
> so Restart should now work.

Not really, it seems that restarting with other window managers got
broken in 2.0.5 :(

I haven't noticed the bugs you mentioned, neither I got any report
about them, however it would be nice for Debian users to get the
fixes for the bugs in sarge.
I'm thinkng about backporting them for 2.0.4 and after checking the CVS
changelog, found those entries:

        * libAfterImage/asvisual.c: Fixed segfault in shared memory
          cleanup code; Still segfaulting on restart in FramesList cleanup
          code

        * src/afterstep/decorations.c: fixed icon_canvas segfault

        * src/afterstep/decorations.c:  amybe fixed stack coruupotion due
          to icon title and icon proper being same canvas

        * libAfterImage/: Makefile.in, asstorage.c: Fixed off-by-one bug in
          ASStorage causing wierd artefact and possibly segfaults, due to
          occupied slots being reused improperly

        * libAfterImage/asfont.c, libAfterImage/asfont.h,
          libAfterStep/clientprops.c, libAfterStep/hints.c,
          src/afterstep/events.c: hopefully fixed Segfault when window
          changes name at the time of destruction

Do you think backporting them would be OK? Or is there something missing
or unnecessary?

Best Regards,
robert