Re: [As-users] where is database "Layer" setting documented?

Andrew Sullivan (ajs@crankycanuck.ca)
Thu, 5 May 2005 16:23:51 -0400

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 05:24:50PM -0500, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> http://www.afterstep.org/visualdoc.php?show=ASDatabaseEntry#options.Layer
>
> Wharf WinList and Pager go on layer 2 by default even if there is
> nothing in the database for them. You have to explicitely override that
> and add Layer 0 to database.
>
> AvoidCover/AllowCover is also usefull option for them modules

You know, I hate to be a grouch about this, but (a) mystery surprise
documents that are on a web page somewhere are way less useful to me
while in the subway than a man page and (b) much of the documentation
that I find in the 1.8.x man pages (the really complete revisions, by
David Mihm) is still useful, but the "man page" that comes with 2.0.x
is little more than an nroff-compatible version of the README.  Even
just putting ##FIXMEs## in the man page source would have been better
than throwing the old docs away.

Again, I'm not offering to fix it; and yes, I can always keep using
the old version[1].  But it seems to me that you've gone to
extraordinary lengths to make this backward-incompatible for the
ordinary user.  Since AS has been my main interface to at least a
dozen systems since round about 1997, I prefer to think about it as
little as possible.  You've done good work.  All the gee-whiz
features are nice -- the antialiased ttf in menus does indeed look
great -- but even just to stand still, I've had to spend time I don't
have working on a problem I didn't have.  That seems to be some
distance from a presumed goal of user friendliness.

[1] In fact, in most places I am -- this is too much work to put into
my desktop, and if i have to learn a new window manager
configuration, I might as well experiment and see what's out there.
(I'll point out that the difference between "subtly new and
undocumented configuration" and "totally new configuration" is so
small as to be meaningless.)  One thing that's turned up is that
Enlightenment, of all things, is now faster on my laptop than AS
2.0.4, which makes me wonder whether all that "all new code" was
worth the price.

--
Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.