Re: [As-users] Afterstep on terminals

Ross Camm (rossco@snapgear.com)
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:12:06 +1000

updated afterstep on debian to 2.1.1-2 and tried what you suggested but
it did not work.

then i noticed in /etc/X11/afterstep/base that the option is

DisableSharedMemory

now it works well.

thanks.

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 11:51 -0500, Sasha Vasko wrote:

> Ross Camm wrote:
> > i have recompiled with success using the debian method.
> >
> > can you tell me what version of afterstep will have the change you
> > mention below, and what does this change mean....do i still need to
>
> It was implemented on May 9th, and is released in 2.1.0 and later.
> I belive debian package still has 2.0.4 with some small patches, so
> you would probably need to get the sources from :
> ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/stable/AfterStep-2.1.1.tar.gz
>

> > recompile with the --disable-shmimage option, or do i start afterstep
> > like this or similar
> >
> > afterstep --NoSharedMemory
>

> No, you add NoSharedMemory to the base config file :
> cp /usr/local/share/afterstep/base ~/.afterstep/
> echo "NoSharedMemory" >> ~/.afterstep/base
>
> for whatever user you want this to be disabled.
>

> > On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 12:47 -0500, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> >
> >>To remedy situation in future, I added NoSharedMemory flag to the base
> >>config. This is in CVS for now, and god knows when it will make it into
> >>deb, as sarge just got frozen.
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>Sasha

Ross Camm, Technical Support, Asia Pacific
SnapGear - A CyberGuard Company
Leaders in embedded Linux security
http://www.SnapGear.com
rossco@snapgear.com
Ph: +61 7 3435 2888
Fx: +61 7 3891 3630
SnapGear - Custom Embedded Solutions and Security Appliances