[As-users] Re: Performance with Desktop->Pictures

Graydon (oak@uniserve.com)
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:39:10 -0400

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:57:16AM -0500, Sasha Vasko scripsit:
> Graydon wrote:
[snip]
> >Is there something I can do to get Afterstep to cache the little tiny
> >16x16 thumbnails, or to otherwise speed up the processing?  There almost
> >has to be, given that the default backgrounds come up quickly, but I'm
> >not at all sure what I should be doing.
>
> Nope, not at this time. I'll see if I can improve on that somehow.
> Solution for now is to manually craete a scaled down jpegs of yiour
> images, so that you don't have to load full size image and scale it on
> the fly every time.

Sticking those in ~/.afterstep/backgrounds and referencing them from the
mini files?

> In CVS there is a new GUI tool called ASWallpaper for management of
> ~/.afterstep/backgrounds. It creates such thumbnailes automatically,
> when background is added to ~/.a/b. It's almost complete and will be
> released soon.

Looking forward to it.

Anyone interested in accumulating more background pictures for
AfterStep?  I'm entirely willing to contribute these, if there's
interest.