Re: [As-users] initial placement of windows

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:24:18 -0500

Juergen Leising wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:42:57AM -0500, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> (...)
>
>>>If I start the Gimp, I get the startup window and the tip of the day
>>>window in the viewport I start it in (from the wharf); I get the main
>>>Gimp window in the top left viewport.
>>
>>I'll work on it. Thanks for reporting
>>
>>sasha
>

> Hello,
>
> let me show you an example:
>
> My file "base" contains the line: DeskTopSize 2x3
> So this is my pager:
>                             Work
>                          ----------
>                         |  1  |  4 |
>                          ----------
>                         |  2  |  5 |
>                          ----------
>                         |  3  |  6 |
>                          ----------
>
> And now, let me try xclock -geometry +450+400. This gives
> different results depending on which view is the current one,
> from which xclock gets started (out of an xterm):

Trouble here is that whenever windows gemetry is specifyed by User -
AfterStep always treats it as a position on virtual screen. So say if
you want to start an xclock in viewport 5 on your scheme and your screen
is 1280x1024, you'll need to run it as :

xclock -geometry +1730+1424

This is done in order to allow exact placement on virtual desktop, even
if it is off of a current viewport.

Unfortunately some apps, such as GIMP abuse the user position flag
(USPosition) and set it even if -geometry option was not used, which
leads AS to always place it in the first viewport.

I'm working on database option to make possible placement on current
viewport even if geometry specified by user for cirtain apps, such a
GIMP. Need to do some more debugging of it.

Sasha