Re: [As-users] lock up

M.-A. DARCHE (ma.darche@cynode.org)
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:31:14 +0100

Le 2006-01-23 20:37 (lundi), niklas@fet.at a écrit /
On 2006-01-23 20:37 (lundi), niklas@fet.at wrote :

> tip : if x does not react, it does not mean afterstep is completely gone;
> i usually only kill x if i cannot restart as from one of the consoles
> to do so : export DISPLAY=:0 ; ascommand.pl Restart

Greeeeat! I need it too since I have the same lock up problems from
time to time. The afterstep I use is home built.

But when I try to use it there is a socket connexion problem:

> $ afterstep/bin/ascommand.pl Restart
> connect: No such file or directory at afterstep/bin/ascommand.pl line 59.

Any idea of what could cause it?

Here is the code of ascommand.pl where the connexion problem occurs:

> # connect to AfterStep via a UNIX-domain socket
>
>  sub module_connect {
>    my $socket_name = $_[0];
>    local *SOCKET;
>
>    socket(SOCKET, PF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)       || warn "socket: $!";
>    connect(SOCKET, sockaddr_un($socket_name))    || warn "connect: $!"; # This is #59
>
>    # set unbuffered I/O
>    select((select(SOCKET), $| = 1)[0]);
>
>    return *SOCKET;
>  }

This afterstep I'm using is a CVS version between 2.0 and 2.1 and maybe
ascommand.pl has been fixed since this time.

I have a more up-to-date AF version at home and will try the command
line restart there too.

Cheers,

--
Marc-Aurèle DARCHE