Re: [As-users] Various Afterstep questions

niklas@fet.at
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:02:35 +0100 (CET)

hey

> 1)  http://afterstep.org/ will seem to connect, but won't advance;
> only http://www.afterstep.org/ will work.

sasha, remmy ?

> 2)  I'm using afterstep from afterstep_2.2.0-1_i386.deb .  I want new
> windows to automatically position themselves, but tall windows (gaim
> and firefox) need to be manually positioned.  How do I set that?

solve by a) setting windowbox accordingly b) most apps rememeber size, so
placing them manually, resizing to wanted size (usually maximizing is
enough), closing app, next time you start it, it should not re-apear.

> 3)  Though the StartsOnDesk option is commented out in database,
> firefox will still use that desk.

consequence : comments only work if on first place in line, for sure a bug..
remove undesired part completely or move it to next line, adding "#" on
first position in the mean time...

> 4)  Go to the lower right corner of your desktop.  Open up xv.  Right
> click on it.  The filelist window will appear in the upper left corner
> of the desktop instead.  How do I avoid that problem?

discussed in lenght on mailing list, look into archives about apps not
behaving correctly... not afterstep to blame here ...

> 5)  When I try to move windows around using the pager, the resolution
> thingy appears right in the middle of the pager, completely obscuring
> my view.  How do I make it go away (or at least appear out of the way
> in the middle of the screen, like in previous versions)?

dunno where this is to find, but i'd look into feel preferences there, if
not found (config flag names are very telling in 99% of cases) there, try
marching through look manual sections.

Niklas