[As-users] Re: Unable to start afterstep as nono-root user

vedamaker@netscape.net
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:05:07 -0500

I did some more testing and found that if made Afterstep setuid 'root'
(btw, this is not an acceptable long term solution for security
reasons) then I could run it as a non-root user however the various
afterstep modules still will not start up.  It clearly looks like some
kind permission problem.  Can someone explain all the resources (e.g.
devices, files, etc.) and their proper permission settings that
Afterstep and its modules must be able to access in order to run ?

-----Original Message-----
From: vedamaker
To: as-users@afterstep.org
Sent: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:03:29 -0500
Subject: Unable to start afterstep as nono-root user

   I've tried to use afterstep 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 but I am not able to run
afterstep as non-root users. When I run it as non-root user I get the
following message:

  Waiting for window matching "WinList" ... click on any button to
cancel

  But afterstep is hung after the message is displayed and no mouse
button clicks have any effect. I have to ctrl-alt-backspace to abort
X11 session.

  When I run exactly the same thing as root user then everything starts
up just fine.

 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
 http://mail.netscape.com