Re: [As-users] 2.2.1, compiling, debugging, placement

Juergen Leising (juergen.leising@gmx.de)
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:18:33 +0200

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:21:10PM -0600, Shadow God wrote:

> I just installed gcc 4.1.0 and then compiled AS 2.2.1 perfectly fine on
> slack 9.

Are you sure you really did not face any errors while compiling?
Note that the Makefiles used for afterstep do NOT stop on error as usual.
To find any errors I had to redirect the whole make output to a file
and then to grep it... But this bug has been around for quite a
long time, as far as I remember, it's not an issue specific to
2.x.x.

Did -Wid-clash-31 really not stop you?
In the ChangeLog they did talk about a warning only, not an error.
And I couldn't find something like -Werror. Interesting...

> What distro are you using? I assume you were using the tarball for AS? Was
> gcc a package or also installed from tarball?

well, no ready made distro, heavily changed and mixed sandbox
with kernel-2.6.10, glibc-2.2, gcc-4.1.0.

> If you did compile AS from tarball, what ./configure options are you using?

oh, several different ones, but this is one of the last ones I
used while trying to understand that placement stuff:

./configure --prefix=/usr  \
--enable-different-looknfeels\
--disable-send-postcard-to-developer \
--enable-gdb\
--with-ttf-includes=/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
--with-ttf-library=/usr/local/lib \
--enable-gdb \
--enable-warn \
--enable-trace \