Re: [As-users] Re: Unable to start afterstep as nono-root user

Nathan Mahon (as_ml@vaevictus.net)
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:29:12 -0500

The PREFIX is /usr/local and PATH contains /usr/local/bin where the
Afterstep binaries are installed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Mahon <as_ml@vaevictus.net>
To: vedamaker@netscape.net
Cc: as-users@afterstep.org
Sent: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:32:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [As-users] Re: Unable to start afterstep as nono-root user

  what prefix did you install your files into?
 are they in the *PATH* for your users?

 n8

 vedamaker@netscape.net wrote:

  > I did some more testing and found that if made Afterstep setuid
'root' > (btw, this is not an acceptable long term solution for
security > reasons) then I could run it as a non-root user however the
various > afterstep modules still will not start up. It clearly looks
like some > kind permission problem. Can someone explain all the
resources (e.g. > devices, files, etc.) and their proper permission
settings that > Afterstep and its modules must be able to access in
order to run ?

button clicks have any effect. I have to ctrl-alt-backspace to abort >
X11 session.