RE: [As-users] 2.2.1, compiling, debugging, placement

Shadow God (shadowgod@eurohack.net)
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:46:39 -0600

I've only had a couple things error during compile, and they're apps that
require GTK. Which always seem to have issues for me (no matter what GTK
program..).

But nothing that stopped AS from starting up and working.

I'll log a configure and make and see what other errors may be occurring.

-----Original Message-----
From: as-users-bounces@afterstep.org [mailto:as-users-bounces@afterstep.org]
On Behalf Of Juergen Leising
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:19 AM
To: as-users@afterstep.org
Subject: Re: [As-users] 2.2.1, compiling, debugging, placement

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:21:10PM -0600, Shadow God wrote:

> I just installed gcc 4.1.0 and then compiled AS 2.2.1 perfectly fine
> on slack 9.

Are you sure you really did not face any errors while compiling?
Note that the Makefiles used for afterstep do NOT stop on error as usual.
To find any errors I had to redirect the whole make output to a file and
then to grep it... But this bug has been around for quite a long time, as
far as I remember, it's not an issue specific to 2.x.x.

Did -Wid-clash-31 really not stop you?
In the ChangeLog they did talk about a warning only, not an error.
And I couldn't find something like -Werror. Interesting...

> What distro are you using? I assume you were using the tarball for AS?
> Was gcc a package or also installed from tarball?

well, no ready made distro, heavily changed and mixed sandbox with
kernel-2.6.10, glibc-2.2, gcc-4.1.0.

> If you did compile AS from tarball, what ./configure options are you
using?

oh, several different ones, but this is one of the last ones I used while
trying to understand that placement stuff:

./configure --prefix=/usr  \
--enable-different-looknfeels\
--disable-send-postcard-to-developer \
--enable-gdb\
--with-ttf-includes=/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
--with-ttf-library=/usr/local/lib \ --enable-gdb \ --enable-warn \
--enable-trace \ --enable-trace-x \
--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include/X11 \
--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

Bye, bye,