Re: [As-users] AfterStep with Gnome

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:08:06 -0600

John Gruenenfelder wrote:

> 2) Digging around on the Internet, I found a site which suggested putting the
> following in .xsession (which is where I usually launch AS from):
>   afterstep &
>   exec gnome-session
>
> AS started followed by most bits of Gnome.  Like in the first case, the Gnome
> window list didn't show my aterms or other windows.  Also, Gnome's session
> manager was still trying to load metacity.  It wasn't, of course, because AS
> was already running.

This is the appropriate method for now, Only you need to run
gnome-session-properties app and specifically remove whatever wm it was

Not sure why you never got aterms or other windows shown in gnome panel
- it works for me just fine, I'm guessing that attempt to launch second
WM by gnome-session somehow screwed things up.

Also, most of the gnome pieces you can load from autoexec - there really
is no need for gnome-session at all.

Try running just the AfterStep from .xsession and then launch all the
gnome apps from term or menus , position them on screen as desired, and
then exit AS from menu. That will save your session into file that AS
will autoload on startup.

Sasha