Re: [As-users] AfterStep with Gnome

John Gruenenfelder (johng@as.arizona.edu)
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:40:05 -0700

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:08:06PM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
>This is the appropriate method for now, Only you need to run
>gnome-session-properties app and specifically remove whatever wm it was
>
>Not sure why you never got aterms or other windows shown in gnome panel
>- it works for me just fine, I'm guessing that attempt to launch second
>WM by gnome-session somehow screwed things up.

Okay, that makes sense.  I figured using gnome-session was the easiest way to
do it.  I didn't know you could run most of the Gnome apps (like panel)
directly.

This time I'm not using gnome-session at all and panel seems to be behaving
itself fairly well.  The task manager within the panel, however, is not
entirely working.

Unlike before, it is now showing the names of the windows that are present.
That's good.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to honor the windows which have
WinListSkip set.  So along with my aterms I also get "gkrellm", "Pager" (only
sometimes), and several "untitled win" which correspond to Wharf dockapps.

I wouldn't expect panel's task manager to know or obey an AS config file, but
aren't those just WM hints?  Shouldn't the task manager know about them?

Also, the task manager properly follows my focus as I move my mouse.  That's
also good.  Unfortunately, clicking on any of the buttons in the task manager
does nothing.  I cannot maximize/minimize/close/etc. from the popup menu.  I
also cannot give focus to another window through the task manager.  Might this
be due to using sloppy focus?

Aside from these problems between AS and task manager, I think I've got a
workable solution here.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.