Re: [As-users] Unable to start afterstep as nono-root user

Nathan Mahon (as_ml@vaevictus.net)
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:29:46 -0500

Thank you for the info.  Unfortunately, just removing the "Wait"
statement still doesn't work.  Now I don't get the message but
afterstep still appears to be hung without any of the standard modules
even though I can see they are running in the background via 'ps'.

I am running Debian "testing" distribution with 2.6.11.7 kernel.  I
compiled and installed afterstep from source by following the standard
instructions.

I am wondering what does afterstep see that is different between root
and non-root users.  BTW, I can run Window Maker as  non-root user just
fine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Mahon <as_ml@vaevictus.net>
To: vedamaker@netscape.net
Cc: as-users@afterstep.org
Sent: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:50:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [As-users] Unable to start afterstep as nono-root user

  That's quite odd, but should be easy to fix.
 if you don't have a ~/.afterstep/autoexec,
  copy it from /usr/share/afterstep (or similar location), then edit,
removing the Wait command for WinList, and others, might be handy.

 What distro are you using? What install method did you use?

 Thanks,
 n8

 vedamaker@netscape.net wrote:

  > I've tried to use afterstep 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 but I am not able to run
 > afterstep as non-root users. When I run it as non-root user I get the
> following message:
 >
  > Waiting for window matching "WinList" ... click on any button to
cancel

  > But afterstep is hung after the message is displayed and no mouse >
button clicks have any effect. I have to ctrl-alt-backspace to abort >
X11 session.