Re: [As-users] Unable to start afterstep as nono-root user

niklas@fet.at
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:51:32 +0100 (CET)

Hey !

possible solutions for AfterStep not starting up - no idea what your
problem is really, sounds strange to me...

but when AS does not want to startup or crashes i check:
 * base file with correct ModulePath ?
 * afterstep installed in a location in PATH (if you use non-standard
   location) ?
 * remove all files in ~/.afterstep/non-configurable/ dir.
 * remove whole ~/.afterstep dir
 * remove or comment out offending module lines from autoexec file until
   it works
 * rebuild afterstep to see if i caught a non-working version from cvs
   (though since you mentioned 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 this is off-topic)
 * check rights of all installed files

 using debian here too - without problems (in /usr/local , /usr/ and
 /home/apps/afterstep2 on different machines)...

good luck
       niklas

P.S.: especially old 1.8 configs are troublesome