Re: [As-users] mplayer in Afterstep

niklas@fet.at
Thu, 11 May 2006 15:44:53 +0200 (CEST)

hi !

> Hi, I am using Afterstep in Debian testing, and since introduction of
> Afterstep 2 (it is at 2.2.1 now) I have been ancountering some strange
> behaviour (and now finally I actually got to asking about it):

very good, without asking - no answers :)

> 1) When I run mplayer (without GUI - I don't use it), the window has no
> decorations. I am especially missing the titlebar, which would allow me to
> move it. I tried to look into database file, but did not find any setting
> resembling mplayer.

1-3)

database is the right one indeed, try using Ident to know what to fill...
(start menu -> modules -> ident)

with it you can identify windows by window name, icon name or resource class

just add a line for mplayer (and gqview) to database and add the params
you want - see www.afterstep.org/visualdoc.php?show=ASDatabaseEntry

Style "MPlayer" Layer 2

for example works fine here for mplayer, analog for gqview

> 2) If I switch mplayer to full screen, the collumn occupied by wharf is
> not
> covered. I tried to play with wharf settings, giving it different layers,
> but
> it did not help.
>
> 3) I observe the same behaviour as in 2 with GQView. When switched to full
> screen, it only covers full screen minus the wharf collumn.
>
> 4) If I view a big picture with display command of ImageMagick, first I
> see a
> window of appropriate size, which I have to place. This is not a problem,
> but
> once I do it, the picture is immediately rescaled to a small size (I guess
> about 128x128).

4) this may have to do with avoidcover setting of afterstep modules
(this is implicit for all modules) - for the rescaling no idea - maybe
sasha or someone else knows, since i always set AllowCover in database
for all my AfterStep modules, i never have this problem, only windows larger
then my screen or windowbox ask for intervention...

you may need to play with Honor* settings for it to work, but this aerea
of afterstep is mostly unkown to me...

> I had none of these problems with 1.8 and I do not have them in fluxbox.
>
> Does anyone know what to do?
>
> Thanks

no problem, hope it helps a bit, good luck

Niklas