Re: [As-users] mplayer in Afterstep

Squasher OfSpam (spam_me.sq1c7@yahoo.com)
Fri, 12 May 2006 23:25:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Pavel Kraus <pavel.kraus@matfyz.cz> wrote:

> Hi, I am using Afterstep in Debian testing, and
> since introduction of
> Afterstep 2 (it is at 2.2.1 now) I have been
> ancountering some strange
> behaviour (and now finally I actually got to asking
> about it):
>
> 1) When I run mplayer (without GUI - I don't use
> it), the window has no
> decorations.

Use gmplayer.

When using mplayer under KDE and icewm in Slackware, I
never had window decorations. I've always thought that
mplayer was never supposed to have them.

This is what I think is going on. Mplayer goes
directly to the hardware, bypassing X and the window
manager. In order to give people the interface they
expect (window decorations, movable windows, etc.),
someone created gmplayer which helps mplayer simulate
being a normal X window.