Re: [As-users] 2.2.2 Release Announcement!

M.-A. DARCHE (ma.darche@cynode.org)
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:44:33 +0200

First, thanks for your replies :-)

Then sorry for the delay, lots of work and slow machine to compile AS
(one of the reasons why I use AS).

John Gruenenfelder a écrit :

> I think he's doing it correctly.  This is how I test out
> CVS copies of AfterStep.  I don't want to clobber or remove the Debian AS
> packages, so I install my AS into its own little area, typically:
>
> --prefix=$HOME/bin/asinstall
>
> The AS config system is very nice in this regard.  The default configuration
> files are adjusted when you build to use the path you specify.  When I want to
> use my CVS AfterStep I only need to do three things:
>
> 1) Change my .xsession to load $HOME/bin/asinstall/usr/bin/afterstep instead
> of just 'afterstep' which is the system default copy.
> 2) Change the ModulePath line in $HOME/.afterstep/base to point to the new
> location.  I keep both lines in the file and then just comment out the one I
> don't need.  The other lines in 'base' will still point to the system default
> locations, but since those are for pixmaps and icons it really doesn't matter.
> 3) Add $HOME/bin/asinstall/usr/bin to the front of my PATH so it takes
> precedence over the old copy.  Unless you need some of the other AS supplied
> programs like ascommand, you can actually skip this step.  Setting ModulePath
> is all you need for AS to be able to find the modules.
>
> Now, this isn't as simply as just running afterstep-2.2.2, for example, but
> it's still a very easy sequence of changes to make.

This is what I think I've been doing all those past years and it
used to work until lately with one the latest 2.2.x release I think.

And when having problems I just move my ~/.afterstep dir out of the way
to use the default config and then I re-add one by one my config files.

Today I have recompiled and reinstalled AS without specifying anything,
just the plain ./configure, make, make install, and I still have the
"Look" and "Feel" menu entries *disabled*. To be more precise here is
below the state of the menu entries of the Desktop menu (the one with
a [X] are enabled):

* Color Scheme
* ConfigFiles
* Feel
* GNOME Desktop
* KDE Desktop
* Look
* Mouse [X]
* Pictures [X]
* Theme [X]
* X Tools
* X snow
* Update startmenu [X]
* Update all [X]

With this plain default install no more errors about paths in my
afterstep.log. It is at the end of this message in case it shows
something interesting.

So with this new 2.2.2 release I have the following problems:
* cannot load/change looks and feels (important)
* cannot install a working AS easily somewhere else than /usr/local
  (less important for now)
* from time to time an additional MonitorWharf appears near the other
  at each AS launch and if don't kill them I got a bunch of them after
  some starts. The solution is to rm -rf ~/.afterstep/non-configurable/
  but it happens again some other times later.
  (not important but annoying)

My system detailed setup has been posted earlier in this thread and
this is a plain old stable Debian Sarge, without any outside libs
(outside of Debian).

It's really strange than I'm the only one to have those behaviors.
Help please :-(

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MonitorWharf ERROR: in Module:Wharf (line 92):Heh, It seems that I've
encountered obsolete config option. I'll ignore it for now, Ok ?![FullPush]
MonitorWharf warning: Application "asfsm_lite -bg Grey30 -fg Grey70 -bp
None -pbg Grey40 -pfg Grey70 -pbp None -i 30 &" cannot be found in the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: None of Applications assigned to the button
"asfsm" can be found in the PATH. Button will be disabled
MonitorWharf warning: Application "asload -shape -exe "aterm -e top" &"
cannot be found in the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: Application "wmavgload -shape -led red &" cannot
be found in the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: Application "wmcpuload -bl -w &" cannot be found
in the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: None of Applications assigned to the button
"loadmonitor" can be found in the PATH. Button will be disabled
MonitorWharf warning: Application "asmon &" cannot be found in the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: None of Applications assigned to the button
"asmon" can be found in the PATH. Button will be disabled
MonitorWharf warning: Application "wmtop &" cannot be found in the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: None of Applications assigned to the button
"wmtop" can be found in the PATH. Button will be disabled
MonitorWharf warning: Application "wmnd -i eth0 &" cannot be found in
the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: None of Applications assigned to the button "wmnd"
can be found in the PATH. Button will be disabled
MonitorWharf warning: Application "asmail -geometry +0+0 &" cannot be
found in the PATH.
MonitorWharf warning: None of Applications assigned to the button
"asmail" can be found in the PATH. Button will be disabled
Pager has encountered a problem interacting with X Windows :
      Request: 73,    Error: 9(BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
parameter))
      in resource: 0x145
 Call Backtrace :
 CALL#: ADDRESS:    FUNCTION:
     0  0x40128624  [/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6(_XError+0xe4) [0x40128624]]
     1  0x40126B83  [/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0x2d3) [0x40126b83]]
     2  0x4010F651  [/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6(XGetImage+0x91)
[0x4010f651]]
     3  0x080B4B82  [/usr/local/bin/Pager(ASGetXImage+0x92) [0x80b4b82]]
     4  0x080D1F9F  [/usr/local/bin/Pager(picture2asimage+0xff) [0x80d1f9f]]
     5  0x08090644  [/usr/local/bin/Pager(icon_from_pixmaps+0x134)
[0x8090644]]
     6  0x0808E4AF  [/usr/local/bin/Pager(button_from_astbar_props+0xef)
[0x808e4af]]
     7  0x08061EAB
[/usr/local/bin/Pager(retrieve_pager_astbar_props+0xdb) [0x8061eab]]
     8  0x080624C1  [/usr/local/bin/Pager(CheckConfigSanity+0x611)
[0x80624c1]]
     9  0x08061950  [/usr/local/bin/Pager(main+0x240) [0x8061950]]
    10  0x40262974  [/lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4)
[0x40262974]]
    11  0x080615D1  [/usr/local/bin/Pager [0x80615d1]]
[...]
(wmfire:14410): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c0000a unexpectedly destroyed
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  38 (X_QueryPointer)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x1e00008
  Serial number of failed request:  1542
afterstep warning: Failed to store image id [arrow_short_small_icon].
ReloadCategories Standard categories time (clocks): 1 mlsec
ReloadCategories AfterStep categories time (clocks): 4 mlsec
ReloadCategories KDE categories time (clocks): 8 mlsec
ReloadCategories GNOME categories time (clocks): 11 mlsec
ReloadCategories System categories time (clocks): 13 mlsec
ReloadCategories ReloadCategories time (clocks): 15 mlsec
afterstep has encountered a problem interacting with X Windows :
      Request: 12,    Error: 8(BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes))
      in resource: 0x6000E4
afterstep has encountered a problem interacting with X Windows :
      Request: 12,    Error: 8(BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes))
      in resource: 0x60013F
afterstep has encountered a problem interacting with X Windows :
      Request: 12,    Error: 8(BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes))
      in resource: 0x60014C

--
Marc-Aurèle DARCHE
AFUL <http://www.aful.org/>